2. If you have to force it, leave it. - Friendships, relationships, ponytails - anything. If it requires forcing, it isn't going to work out well.
3. Life is short. Eat the cake, buy the shoes, drink the wine. - I think you get the point.
4. Find something to be positive about everyday. - Even if some days all you can feel positive about is that you got out of bed or you ate something healthy for breakfast, then feel positive about that.
5. Pain is unavoidable, suffering is optional. - Things hurt, life causes us pain, but it is up to us as individuals to decide if we are going to let ourselves suffer in that pain or if we are going to keep moving forward rather than allowing ourselves to wallow in it.
6. All bodies are different. - I'm not going to blather on about how we should all just love ourselves and the way we look without any hang ups or worries because honestly that is a load of rubbish. We are only human, so no matter how much you may be confident in your own skin, everyone will have at least one thing they're not fully confident or comfortable with about themselves and that is fine. IF you don't like something, change it if it will make you happier. BUT, only change it for yourself. Never, ever feel the need to change the way you look just because someone else thinks you should.
7. You have to make a change to see a change. - This may seem obvious to some, but the amount of people I know that do the same thing every day and expect a different result but never do and as a result spend 50% of their life moaning, is scarily high to be honest.
8. If you don't understand, ask. - No matter how many times you have to ask a teacher, lecturer, even a colleague, you keep asking until you understand. Life is difficult enough without the added pressures of being too embarrassed to ask for help when you don't understand. Teachers and lecturers are paid to help you, and when you're paying £9000 a year for the privilege, you better know everything there is to know about your subject by the time you leave or you're going to feel all sorts of annoyed, believe me.
9. Self love is important. - If you think your make up looks nice or your outfit is cute, if you've painted a picture you're proud of or taken a nice photo, feel free to share it with your friends and family. Post it on social media, text it to your friends, stick it on your bedroom wall. Do whatever it is that makes you feel happy about having accomplished something that day, even if it is as silly as picking out a new skirt in a store that goes nicely with a top you already had at home in your wardrobe. As a wise man once said, if you can't love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love somebody else?
10. Enjoy alone time. - I am a firm believer in needing your own space to breathe and function without having others around polluting your thoughts and feelings. Go for a walk, get a coffee, go see a film, read a book. In these moments you will have the space to think freely, to dream, to figure out what your beliefs are. It is important to find this clarity.
11. Outgrowing people is inevitable. - Sometimes it's a slow process, other times it feels like it happens all at once. However it comes to light, don't worry. These things happen. It's not the end of the world. It is far better to look back and smile at the good memories of a friendship than to feel bitter and dwell on why you are friends no more.
12. You should be spontaneous once in a while. -Not every adventure and good time can be planned. Sometimes the best memories are created from bumping into a friend and just going somewhere or doing something there and then.
13. Water is amazing. - This is a weird one I know, but water can do so much for us and people underestimate it a lot. Obviously we need water to live but its so much more than that, It promotes weight loss, clearer skin, is a natural cure for headaches, it increases energy levels and lessens fatigue, it flushes out toxins, it boosts the immune system.... you get the point. Drink more water now, thank me later.
14. It is important to make time for friends. - Not only because they are your friends and you love them but because sometimes everyone needs someone to lean on in difficult times. So be there for them when they need you and they will return the favour.
15. Try to keep an open mind. - My first year of university was certainly an eye opener for me for a number of reasons. 'How the other half live' springs to the forefront of my mind, but in all honesty I learnt so much more than that. Being packed tightly in one building with masses of other students from all over the world is equal parts confusing, terrifying, amusing and refreshing. Everyone has a different way to do their washing. Everyone thinks their way of making spaghetti bolognese is the best. Everyone eats differently, drinks differently, sleeps differently, works differently, thinks differently and exists differently and there is always something to be learned from one another. There is nothing else quite like it.
16. Sometimes you just miss people. -You may catch yourself out of the blue thinking of someone who is not an active part of your life and feel a bit sad. There is nothing wrong with that. Whether it is someone who is no longer with us, or someone who has moved away, or someone who is no longer in your life for a less happy reason, it's normal to feel nostalgic or sentimental about what no longer is.
17. Que Sera Sera, whatever will be, will be. - No matter how hard you try to change something or will things to turn out how you want, sometimes they just don't. Sometimes you just have to accept that it is what it is and move on.
18. Just because someone desires you does not mean they value you. - No further explanation with this one I'm afraid. It's pretty self explanatory.
19. Not everyone's life is as it seems on the internet. - Behind closed doors everyone is fighting a battle we don't know about. It's easier for people to fake a happy and fulfilled life to make their friends jealous over Facebook and Instagram, more than it is for them to admit what they're struggling with in life. In this day and age it's become pretty normal, so just take everything you see with a pinch of salt because 9 times out of 10, all isn't as it seems.
20. Not everyone will like you. -Some people will have reasons, others will not. This is something you won't be able to change that often so just accept it as one of those things and move on.
21. It's okay to change your mind. -And change it back again. It's as simple as that really.
22. It's okay to be wrong. - Nobody is perfect, welcome to the real world. You're bound to be wrong about some things in life. That doesn't matter. What will matter though is how you admit to being wrong. Sometimes it may require an apology, sometimes it may be a case of laughing it off. Either way, it is okay.